E-News - I’d Give Anything to have a Successful Business like Yours!
I’d Give Anything to have a Successful Business like Yours!Would you really? Are you willing to do whatever it takes?
These questions come from a story about Gary Player, the golfer. “Many years ago the legendary golf pro Gary Player was hitting balls off the practice tee one morning and the first ball he hit went 280 yards straight as a bullet. A guy in the gallery just within earshot said, ‘Man, I’d give anything to be able to hit a golf ball like you.’ Gary walked over to the guy and said, ‘No, you wouldn’t.’ The guy said, ‘Yes, I would. I’d give anything to hit like that,’ Gary said, ‘No, you wouldn’t. You wouldn’t be willing to do what it takes. You have to rise early in the morning and hit five hundred balls until your hands bleed. Then you stop, tape your hands, and hit five hundred more balls. The next morning you’re out there again with hands so raw you can barely hold your club, but you do it all over again. If you do that through enough years of pain, then you can hit a ball like that.’ Player won more than 160 professional golf tournaments and is a member of “the big three” — along with Jack Nicklaus and Arnold Palmer — who dominated golf through the 1960’s and 1970’s” (Bob Merritt, 7 Simple Choices for a Better Tomorrow, p. 136).
In order to have a successful growing business, you must have this kind of mindset.
- You must come in every day earlier than anyone else and prepare and think
about your day.
- You must lead and set a vision that others can follow.
- You must be open to counsel and take criticism well.
- You must spend six to ten percent of gross revenue on branding, marketing and advertising every year.
- You must not be afraid to ask for help.
- You must be willing to invest in training your team.
- You must lose your ego and hire quality people who are smarter than you are.
- You must never get comfortable, but rather do what others aren’t willing to do.
HVAC Business Consultant